Thursday, March 12, 2009

Rested in Margaritaville

"Rested away again in Margaritaville
Looking for my lost shaker of sane
Some people claim that there's a
padded room for me but I say
no way
the moves to blame."

I spent 5 days in the Florida Keys with Ma a few weeks back. She had a site visit to take care of and I tagged along. After 2 months of sheer chaos, a week in the tropical keys was just what this gal needed. I'd never been to the Keys but over the past few years I've had 3 separate friends return and tell me that they could see me living there. I was intrigued. Normally people tell me things like "oh these pants are so ugly...they look like you!" Or "this movie was bad, can you explain it to me". I suppose I could be insulted but truth be told I'm usually flattered. So when the topic of the Keys came up I was on board.

Gotta tell ya, they were right but with a twist. The Keys were sensational and I felt more at home than anywhere I've ever been with the possible exception of the North Shore of Oahu. I loved Marathon and Ducks Key. Key West was very cool and I am aware of it being the home of my hero Mr. Buffett but...I'm not sure it was a place to live for me. It was a mixture of Vegas and New Orleans but on the beach. I realized the power of this tiny community when one evening while strolling Duval St with some friends. We stopped at an open air gay bar and watched some rather good looking men in their skivvies dancing on the bar to "Disco Inferno". I heard a female voice singing along from behind me. I glanced over my shoulder and to my shock and awe is my classy refined mother with her arms over her head dancing and singing along..."burn baby burn..." I probably need to set this scene better for you to understand the sheer hilarity of it. The friends we were with were a very good friend of my dad's, who is the EX of my mom, and her friend. This was the first time the dad-friend had ever met my mother and she was now doubled over with laughter!

*side note - Yesterday in my women's bible study the question was asked, "what does God do in your life to make you laugh?" Hel-lo he gave me my parents...all of them! Oh, and He's constantly putting events into place in my life that I have nothing else to do but laugh and write about them!*

BACK TO SCENE
You may be questioning if my classy mom was drinking as is the way in Key West but I can say with authority that she wasn't. The strongest thing she'd had was coke lotta ice. See?! It's the power of Key West. It can turn a refined classic woman into a dancing queen, make men wear Bermuda shorts with socks and sandals, make you think pink flamingos are the fashion statement you MUST make, and turn an uptight stressed out writer back into her former self.

Speaking of fashion statements I did make a few myself. There is a great store called Key West Hand Print. They take local artists work and copy the prints onto fabric then make clothes out of them. WOHOOO...I hit the mother load. They were having an 80% off liquidation sale and baby did this unemployed writer stock up. (see previous blogg regarding my shopping!) I bought a bright lime green dress with fuchsia flowers, a multicolor jacket that was pink, tangerine, blue, lemon, and lime colored and to play it safe a white, blue and turquoise skirt. While I still love them, I did question it a bit when I saw the items in the light of AZ reality and not the golden haze of Key West eyes. The Hubb's gave a big exasperated sigh said they were "atrocious but so you" when he viewed my treasures for the first time. (I'm so glad he loves me the way I am)

During this trip I decided that instead of writing about all the wonderful things I noshed on, I'm going to add another blog that is strictly dedicated to places I've visited and the pleasures I've eatten...and the scarey stuff too. I'll send you the link when I have it up and running. But I leave you with this, if you don't like seafood, try it in the Keys. It's a religous experience!

So here's the wrap up:

To my friends that claimed I belong in the Keys - THANK YOU for knowing me so well and you are correct.
If you want to see how kooky your parental units can be, take 'em to Key West.
While on a trip buy something you'd never buy at home...but keep it affordable.
Eat something you wouldn't eat at home. Unless allergic...then skip it!
But most importantly take the time whether it be a week or an hour to give yourself a break. You need it...trust me!

No comments: